How many kinship terms do you use in your life? Most likely, like everyone else: mom, dad, grandmother, grandfather, uncle, aunt, brother, sister. But there are actually a lot of them, and sometimes without knowing the terms, we cannot answer who this or another person is for us.
Let’s try to figure it out together and make up no more dictionary of genealogical terms.
There are three groups of terms:
- Relationships (blood relations);
- Properties (relationships resulting from marriage);
- Close (spiritual) non-kinship ties.
When familiarizing yourself with the terms of kinship, it should be remembered that the terms of consanguinity consist of keywords and definitions of the degree of kinship.
- Grandmother is a mother of father or mother, grandfather’s wife.
- Brother is a each of the sons of the same parents.
- Bratan, bratanik, bratenya, bratenik, bratel’nik is a cousin.
- Bratanna, bratichna, bratuchada is a brother’s daughter, brother’s niece.
- Bratel’nica is a relative in general, cousin or distant.
- Bratych, bratuchado, bratichich, bratich is a brother’s son, brother’s nephew.
- The grandson is the son of a daughter, a son; as well as the son of a nephew or niece.
- Granddaughter is a daughter of a son, daughter; as well as the daughter of a nephew or niece.
- Vuy is a uncle, mother’s brother.
- Grandfather is the father of a mother or father.
- Dedina, dedka is a aunt by uncle.
- Dedich is the direct heir to his grandfather.
- Daughter is a female person to her parents.
- Uncle is the brother of the father or mother.
- Mother is a female person in relation to her children.
- Father is a male person in relation to his children.
- Otcenachal’nik is the oldest in the generation.
- Otchinnik, otchich is a son, heir.
- Nephew is the son of a brother or sister.
- Niece is the daughter of a brother or sister.
- Tribe is a relative, relative.
- Primogenitors is the first known by the genealogy couple, from which the genus originates.
- Primogenitor is the parent of the great-great-grandfather, great-great-grandmother.
- Patriarch is the first known representative of the clan from whom the genealogy is conducted.
- Samobrat is a sibling.
- Sister is a each of the daughters in relation to other children of the same parents.
- Sestrennica is a cousin, daughter of a mother or father’s sister.
- Sestrenka, sestrina, sestrichka, sestrejka, sestrenica, sestriya is a cousin
- Sestryanka, sestruha, sestrushka is a cousin or granddaughter.
- Sestrenich, sestrich, sestrichich, sestrichishch is a son of the mother’s or father’s sister, sister’s nephew
- Sestrina is a sister’s daughter.
- Stryj is a uncle, father’s brother
- Son is a male person in relation to his parents.
- Aunt is the sister of father or mother.
Determination of degrees of kinship
- The great uncle is the brother of a grandfather or grandmother.
- The great aunt is the sister of grandfather or grandmother.
- Grandchild is a about kinship originating from the third tribe or even further.
- Cousin is a about kinship originating from the second tribe.
- Blood is a about kinship within the same family.
- Little uncle is the brother of the father or mother.
- The little aunt is the sister of the father or mother.
- Uniform (single-born, half-blood) is a about the descent from one father.
- Outer uterine (single uterine) is a about descent from one mother.
- Full-fledged is a about the descent from the same parents.
- Pra is a prefix meaning kinship in a distant ascending or descending order.
- Crowned is a about descent from one parent, but born before marriage and then recognized.
- Native is a about descent from the same parents.
- Consolidated is a about descent from different parents.
- Second cousin is a see grandchild.
- Brataniha is the wife of a cousin.
- Bratova is a brother’s wife.
- A widow is a woman who has not entered into another marriage after the death of her husband.
- A widower is a man who has not married after the death of his wife.
- Dever’ is the husband’s brother.
- A wife is a married woman to her husband.
- Groom is a having conspired a bride.
- Zolovica, zolovka, zolova is a husband’s sister, sometimes brother’s wife, daughter-in-law.
- Son-in-law is a husband of daughter, sister, sister-in-law.
- A husband is a married man in relation to his wife.
- The daughter-in-law is the wife of the son, the wife of the brother.
- Swat, svat’ya is a parents of young people and their relatives in relation to each other.
- The father-in-law is the husband’s father.
- Mother-in-law is the husband’s mother.
- Owner is a a person who is in kinship by husband, wife.
- Brothers-in-law are persons married to two sisters.
- Cousins-in-law is a persons married to cousins.
- Son-in-law, son-in-law.
- The fraudster is the wife of a brother-in-law, the wife of two brothers in relation to each other, daughter-in-law.
- Spouse is husband.
- Spouse is a wife.
- Father-in-law is the father of his wife.
- Mother-in-law is the mother of the wife.
- Shurin is his wife’s brother.
- The godfather is the son of the godfather.
- Cross brother, brother across the cross, brother named – persons who exchanged body crosses.
- The godfather is the father of the godfather.
- The named daughter is a foster child, a pupil.
- Uncle – assigned for the care and supervision of a child.
- Kum, kuma – see: The Godfather, the Mother of the Godmother.
- Mother of the Godmother, Mother of the Cross – the recipient of the baptismal ceremony.
- The mother named – mother to the foster, pupil.
- Milk mother – mother, nurse.
- Mother planted – a woman replacing the mother of the groom at the wedding.
- The stepmother is the other wife of the father, step-mother.
- The godfather is the recipient of the font.
- A father named – a father to a foster child, a pupil.
- The father is bespectacled, the father is planted, the father is disobedient – a person speaking instead of his father at a wedding.
- The stepfather is the other husband of the mother, step-father.
- Stepdaughter – daughter from another marriage to a step-parent.
- The stepson is the son, step-mother of one of the spouses.
- Step brothers and sisters are children of persons who are remarried from previous marriages.
- The son of the godfather (godson) is a male person in relation to the recipient.
- The son named – reception, pupil.
- Adopted – a boy in relation to adoptive parents.
- Adopted – a girl in relation to adoptive parents.
So we figured out the terms, now we can determine with precision who is who. And write it all down in your family book.
Good luck in finding.